Friday, November 01, 2013

Thank you, Pittsburgh Ronald McDonald House

Madi was asked to be the keynote speaker at the Ronald McDonald House of Pittsburgh, PA fundraising gala. Due to prior commitments, she could not attend. The essay she wrote follows along with the link to a slideshow they will share: http://www.kizoa.com/slideshow-maker/d6521048k7842285o1/rmcd-house When I was asked to write a bit about what the Ronald McDonald House has meant to me, I was a bit overwhelmed to realize that about 1/3 of my life has been spent at Ronald McDonald Houses. My first "home away from home" was the original Ronald McDonald House in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Most of my second and third year of life were spent at the house in San Antonio, Texas, when I had my original VEPTR devices inserted. At age four, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh opened its own Vertical Expansion Prosthesis Titanium Rib program, and I was transferred to the hospital there. Between the ages of four and thirteen, the house on Shady Avenue was a safe place for me. It was a place where I knew I was welcome and could rest before and after surgeries. We live nine hours from Pittsburgh, so the financial burden of travel and stay during my thirty nine major surgeries was heavy. Thanks to the Ronald McDonald House, my Mom had less worry and stress. The house also made it possible for my Grandfather to travel with us and be there to help my Mom take care of me. My Grampa is the most important person in my world, so having him with us made my recovery easier. As a child, the little things meant a lot...being able to choose a gift from the treasure box, wander in the kitchen, choose a book or video, all made the house special to me. I also had a special relationship with Joanne, although I suspect most kids believe they were "most important" to her! I was sad when the Ronald McDonald house moved adjacent to the new hospital at first, but the past three years I have grown to love it there. It is great to just walk to appointments (I no longer have surgeries), and makes every visit less tiring. I have also learned to love the new faces that have taken Joanne's place in the office. Everyone at the Ronald McDonald House is always friendly and welcoming. At age sixteen, I have gone through a lot and met many children who have gone through more than me. The importance of the Ronald McDonald House cannot be over estimated. It really is "the house that love built", and I am thankful to have so many memories of both the house on Shady Avenue and the new house. Sincerely, Madi Draper

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home